Check here for information about times and dates for our Religious Education (RE) program, and for safety information.
Time and Dates
Our Religious Education Program meets on Sunday mornings from 10:30 to 11:30 AM all year round. In the summer, we run a Summer RE program for 1st-5th graders in the RE Hallway off of the Great Hall. From September to June, the classes are more grade specific and meet in the following places:
•The Nursery an grades K-1 meet in the RE Hallway off of the Great Hall.
•Grades 2-12 meet at Waters House.
•Approximately once a month, we will hold a multigenerational service. Check the homepage to see if the religious education for Sunday is in the classroom or in worship.
Our time together is brief, and we recognize the important role that parents and family life play in the religious education of children.
Guidelines For Helping Our Children Grow Religiously
- Arrive on time and come regularly. By regular attendance our children get the most out of the curricula and benefit from the growing sense of community and friendship.
- Get to know the teachers, the advisors, the Director of Lifespan Religious Education (DLRE) and the RE Council members. Ask questions about the program. Discuss the material with your children.
- Try to understand your child’s point of view. Be a good listener for your children, even if you do not agree with them.
- Share your point of view. Let your children and youth know your thoughts, opinions and values. Let them know how important Unitarian Universalism and our congregation are to you.
- Please leave electronic and other toys and game cards at home.
- Sign up for and read our weekly RE Newsletter each week with updates on the program and upcoming events.
Safety: It takes us all!
The safety of our children is of primary concern. The church staff and our RE teachers and advisors do our best to assure that the facilities are safe and well cared for. However, responsibility for safety is a concern we all share. If you see an unsafe situation, please bring it to the attention of the appropriate church staff member (church administrator, custodian, Director of RE, etc.).
“Safe Crossing” Guidelines
We want our children to have a wonderful experience in the RE Program and ask everyone to make sure that our children cross Wendell Avenue safely on their way to and from Waters House, our RE home. Parents, please go over these guidelines with your children.
- Parents should accompany their child(ren) across the street on days classes are held in Waters House.
- Children under 12 will not leave Waters House after church unless accompanied by a parent or with a signed permission slip allowing the child to be dismissed from class without a parent or guardian present.
- Please talk with the DLRE if you have any questions about our “Safe Crossing” Guidelines.
In 2007, Unitarian Universalist Society of Schenectady (UUSS) adopted a Safe Congregation Policy.