Women’s Alliance – Daytime
The Daytime Group of the Women’s Alliance meets with a monthly luncheon, followed by a speaker or program which will stimulate, inform, and entertain with timely topics. This year many of our lunches will be at the Turf Tavern in Scotia; others will be in our UUSS dining rooms. We aim for simplicity and good nutrition. Our object is to have women interact in a relaxed fashion.
Read about our most recent or upcoming program.
The Alliance welcomes all women to join in our activities. Members receive a Membership directory and support the Alliance activities & programs. Men are also invited to attend the daytime programs.
Our organization is run by an Executive Board and has an active program. In the past our fundraisers have supported the works of our church, denomination, and the community. We now use investment sources to accomplish this purpose.
The Women’s Alliance aims to enrich the lives of members of the congregation by providing opportunities to develop warm connections and friendships. It has a long and rich history of members who’ve made important contributions to our church and our community. Men and women are welcome to attend any of our luncheons and/or programs which are announced in Circuits and the Order of Service.
Officers & Committee Chairs:
President; Patricia Lambert
Vice President: Barbara McLaughlin
Secretary; Nancy Bogdanowicz
Treasurer: Sandra Reschovsky
Program: Jill McGrath, Chair
Membership: Mariko Baertsch, Chair
Special Appeals: Crys Hamelink, Chair
Member at Large: Rose Cooper
The Alliance continued its tradition of charitable contributions through Special Appeals. Some of the organizations which received money this year were: Soup Kitchen/ YWCA/Dining for Dollars/ UUSS Youth Group /Center for Community Justice/ Moon Catchers/ Planned Parenthood/ SICM Summer Lunch Program.
- The Grand Canyon Geology on the Rio Colorado Thursday, April 6th will feature the Women’s Alliance Luncheon will feature George H. Shaw! The Grand Canyon is one of the best overall exposures of geology anywhere. This talk will take you on a river trip, examining the rocks and discussing what they tell us. The scenery is spectacular, the geology is spectacular, and the ...
- The Women’s Alliance: March 2nd The next gathering of the Women’s Alliance will be on Thursday, March 2 at the Turf Tavern in Scotia at 11:45am. Lunch is served promptly at noon and lunch choices include Chicken Florentine or Panko Parmesan Tilapia. A vegetarian option is also offered. The cost is $13. Our guest speaker is Marsha Mortimore,a well-known community activist and recorder of ...
- Alliance Special Appeals 2017! The Women’s Alliance is seeking requests for donations from our Special Appeals Fund. Over the years, we have awarded donations to a variety of organizations, including grants to the UUSS Soup Kitchen Committee, Green Sanctuary, Dining for Dollars, and the Youth Group. We have also awarded donations to community non-profits such as SICM, the YWCA, ...
- Women’s Alliance – January 5th Happy Holidays to all from the UUSS Women’s Alliance! A little know fact is that The Women’s Alliance has been part of our Schenectady Church since 1901. On January 5th, Women’s Alliance members will bring in the New Year with a luncheon and membership meeting in the church dining room. Happy 2017! Happy 116th birthday! ...
- Women’s Alliance Luncheon: December 1st Women’s Alliance invites one and all (male and female!) to our December 1st Luncheon at the Turf Tavern, Mohawk Avenue, Scotia. The Director of Education and Training at Youth Build, Rebecca Paavola, and the Director of Schenectady Works, Nathan Mandsager, will present, “Empowering Young People to move from generational poverty to sustainability, leadership and influence”. ...
- Women’s Alliance Program: November 3rd The Women’s Alliance will feature Diane Wilkinson, Principal of Schenectady High School here at UUSS on Thursday, November 3rd. Her presentation is, Young Women at Schenectady High School: Their Challenges and Triumph. Ms. Wilkinson has been in education in the Schenectady City School District for over 25 years. She has worked at Oneida Middle School as ...
- Women’s Alliance Luncheon: October 6th If you subscribe to the Daily Gazette, you know the name of columnist Sara Foss. Sara will be the featured speaker at our October luncheon at the Turf Tavern on Thursday, October 6. Sara, the daughter of a minister and an educator who grew up in New Hampshire and began her career in elementary school, starting a neighborhood ...